Weight Loss Surgery
Dr. Katy Irani is a weight loss and minimally invasive surgeon at Surgical Specialists of Colorado. She cares for patients who need weight loss surgery and is specially trained to understand the unique challenges that these patients experience.
There is a negative stereotype and stigma around obesity, however obesity is classified as a medical disease just like diabetes. This means there are genetic, environmental and behavioral components that result in someone being overweight. The entire GI tract has a hormonal system in it and these hormones affect hunger, the appetite, cravings, and the desire to exercise. For those who are heavy, they often crave high calorie foods, are still hungry after eating and do not have the energy or motivation to burn the calories off that they consume. In addition to GI hormones, a decreasing amount of estrogen is a contributing factor to gaining weight, because of this women over the age of 40 are more susceptible to being overweight.
For individuals suffering from obesity, often traditional mechanisms such as diet and exercise are not successful in achieving weight loss. Only 1 in 50 people can lose 50 pounds with diet and exercise and only 1 in 100 can keep the weight off. Fortunately, we have a more successful treatment for obesity, a surgical one. Weight loss surgery, also known as Bariatric surgery, is an effective way for people to lose weight and keep it off, 8 out of 10 people can keep 50 pounds off at 5 years.
Often individuals and primary care doctors view bariatric surgery as a last resort, whereas in many cases, it should be considered much earlier in the treatment process and doctors and family members should advocate for it. It is important to note that most private insurance companies as well as Medicare and Medicaid cover bariatric surgery.
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric bypass
Dr. Katy Irani at SSOC has an entire program dedicated to supporting the needs of bariatric patients. The Lutheran Weight Loss Center utilizes a dietician, counselor, support group, and a medical weight loss provider to ensure patients have the highest success in losing the weight. Dr. Irani is considered to be an expert in this space performing over 200 bariatric surgeries each year.
Dr. Irani takes time with her patients, listens to their concerns and takes into account any of those concerns that may influence their decision to have surgery or which surgery is best for them.
Dr Irani is dedicated to helping cure foregut disease and relieve people from pain and obesity. Surgical Specialists of Colorado is seen as a leader in bariatric medicine and the innovative treatments for foregut abnormalities. Our caring and compassionate team is available to consult with you and find solutions to help you live your best life!
Please see the link below for more information on the types weight loss (bariatric) surgery SSOC.
Dr. Irani offers two procedures for weight loss. Although there is a preference dependent on each patient, ultimately the decision on which surgery is right is a mutual decision between the patient and doctor. Both surgeries result in decreased hunger, decreased cravings, and more energy to exercise. Both surgeries have an average of one night in the hospital and 1-2 weeks off work.
The sleeve gastrectomy is one of the procedures Dr. Irani offers. In this procedure the surgeon removes 75% of the stomach. The remaining 25% is tubular and resembles the sleeve of a shirt. Average sustained weight loss is 50 to 70 lbs for every 100 lbs of excess weight. This procedure is preferred for people who are not insulin dependent diabetics, do not have severe reflux, have not had multiple abdominal surgeries, or who are not more than 100 pounds overweight.
The gastric bypass is the second type of weight loss surgery Dr. Irani offers. This procedure results in even more dramatic weight loss than the sleeve procedure and therefore is preferred for the severely obese patient. In addition, because it cures both diabetes and reflux in most patients, it is the preferred procedure for insulin dependent diabetics and patients with severe reflux. A gastric bypass is created by decreasing the separating a small pouch of stomach. The intestine is then connected to this pouch thereby bypassing some enzymes that digest high amounts of fat and sugar. This not only lessens hunger and cravings but results in intolerance of high carbohydrate and high fat foods in some individuals and because of this the average weight loss is 70-90 pounds for every 100 pounds in excess weight.
For patients who choose bariatric surgery they can expect to see their maximum weight loss at a year post-surgery. The quickest weight loss is expected to be seen in the first 3- 6 months. Often, they can lose 50 pounds in that time period. Patients report that they feel fantastic – they have their lives back – they can breathe and move better, and their medical problems go away.